"I am a colorist intrigued with pattern, a manifestation of my youthful interest in textile and fashion design. My artwork has organic underpinnings, undoubtedly springing from my formal education as a botanist/ecologist. My interest in the natural world was reinforced by graduate work in the jungles and tropical landscapes of Costa Rica. I studied the symbiotic relationships between tropical plants teeming with a myriad of intriguing insects. My early studies influenced my painting and printmaking. My altered monotypes are metaphors for the beauty and fragility of our ecosystems and my invented utopian agrarian landscapes are saturated with lively high key color. My paintings have been included in international exhibitions in Germany, Kuwait and Ireland. I continue to remain open to experimentation and play and hope to infuse my artwork with joy, whimsy and a little bit of magic. I am currently located in Colfax, Washington."
Betty Jo was born in the small farm town of Colusa, California in 1942. She says, "I spent my youth coloring, drawing and dreaming of being a dress designer. In high school I reluctantly chose a science path. I earned a BS (magna cum laude) from California State University at Chico, and a MS in Botany from University of Washington in 1966. I taught graduate level Botany at Seattle University for a few years and was a charter founding member of the Washington Native Plant Society for ten years."
Betty Jo continues, "My career path changed when I studied design, painting and printmaking at TESC, Pratt Fine Arts Center, Sedona Art Center, and participated in many workshops. I was accepted for master classes with Edward Betts and Ron Pokrasso. I have been painting and printmaking for 30-plus years, and more than 400 pieces reside in corporate and private collections. Honors include nomination to Who's Who in American Art and election as a Fellow of the Washington Native Plant Society."
Betty Jo has won over 30 awards and has been juried into a significant number of national and international competitions in her 30-year career.
- 2000-88 Master classes and workshops in USA and France
- 1992-89 Studied painting & printmaking at Evergreen State College, Olympia
- 1966 MS, Botany, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
- 1965 Organization for Tropical Studies, San Jose, Costa Rica
- 1963 BA, Magna cum laude, Univ. of Northern Calif, Chico
- 1990-2010 Invited Juror, Workshop Teacher and Lecturer for local and regional art organizations
- 1998-99 Guest Lecturer in art at Evergreen State College, Olympia
- 1977-78 Guest Lecturer in Ecology & Botany at the Evergreen State College, Olympia
- 1966-69 Botany Instructor, Seattle University
- 1963-66 Biology Teaching Assistant, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS
- 2010 Elected to Life Membership in Women Painters of Washington
- Present-1995 Who's Who in American Art, Marquis Who's Who, New Providence, NJ
- 2004-2007 President, Board of Directors, Northwest Watercolor Society Foundation
- 2000 Centrum Residency, Invited Instructor, Pt. Townsend, WA
- 1995-04 Who's Who in American Art, 23rd edition Marquis Who's Who, New Providence, NJ
- 1997-04 Who's Who in America, 55th edition, Marquis Who's Who, New Providence, NJ
- 1999-00 President, Northwest Watercolor Society, V. President, 1998 & Signature Member since 1986
- 1999-00 Treasurer, Women Painters of Washington, President, 1992-93, elected Member since 1987
- 1999 Organized an All city Artist Studio Tour, sponsored by Olympia Arts Commission
- 1999 Demonstrating Artist for "Celebrating Women in the Arts", Frye Art Museum
- 1988-98 National Collage Society, Board of Directors, Signature Member
SELECTED SOLO AND INVITATIONAL EXHIBITIONS
- 2010 Happy Days, Shoreline City Hall, Shoreline, WA
- 2010 Summer Fun, Childhoods End Gallery, Olympia, WA 2 person
- 2009 Lighthearted. Olympic Gallery, Shelton, WA, solo
- 2008 Whimsy Works, Moscow Arts Commission, Third Street Art Gallery, Moscow, ID, solo
- 2008 Fanciful Fusion, Solovei Art Gallery, Everett, WA, 3 person
- 2008 Women of the Palouse, Bank Left Gallery, Palouse, WA 3 person
- 2006 Road Trips, Cielo Blu, Olympia, WA, solo
- 2006 Cuppa'Joe, Bratdorf and Bronson, Olympia, WA, solo
- 2002 Road Tableaux, Washington Center Gallery, Olympia, WA, solo
- 2002 Coffee and Things, Arts West Gallery, Seattle, WA, solo
- 1998 Coffee Break, Capitale, Olympia, WA, solo
- 1997 Aerial Abstracts, Capitale, Olympia, WA, solo
- 1996 Food Coloring, La Bastille Gallery, Tacoma, WA, solo
- 1995 Land Marks, Bruskin Gallery, Pt. Townsend, WA, solo
- 1994 Fresh Aire, Alexis Hotel, Seattle, WA, solo
- 1993 One of a Kind, Village Art Gallery, Gig Harbor, WA, solo
- 1992 Prisms and Vessels, The Gallery, Olympia, WA, solo
- 1991 In Search of Nexus, Maska International Gallery, Seattle, WA, solo
- Small Treasures, Childhood's End Gallery, Olympia, WA
- Java Divas, curated by Diane Kuryzna, Minneart Center for the Arts Gallery, South Puget Sound Community College, Olympia, WA
- Landscapes, Redmond Arts Commission ORSCC Gallery, Redmond, WA
- Celebration! Women Painters of Washington Gallery, 5th and Columbia, Seattle, WA
- Whimsey, Eastshore Gallery, Bellevue, WA
- Tropicals, Blue Heron Gallery, Vashon Island, WA
- Journeys, Gallery at the Shoreline Center, Shoreline Arts Commission, Seattle, WA
- Some Like It Hot, Childhood's End Gallery, Olympia, WA
- Artist Trust Benefit Auction, Seattle, WA
- Angel Gallery of Fine Art & Antiques, Couer d'Alene, ID
- Bank Left Gallrey, Palouse, WA
- Childhood's End Gallery, Olympia, WA
SELECTED COMMISSIONS AND COLLECTIONS
- City of Moscow, ID
- Pryde and Johnson, Seattle
- Swedish Medical Foundation
- Samsun Medical Center, Santa Barbara, CA
- Telco Credit Union, Seattle, WA
- Univ. of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- US West Marketing Division, Denver, CO
- North Kansas City Hospital, MO
- School Administration Center, Hampton, PA
- Sovrain Financial, Baltimore, MD
- Allen Women's Center, Denver, CO
- USF & G, Annapolis, MD
- Bank of Louisville, Louisville, KY
- Olympia Golf & Country Club, Olympia, WA
- Music-Vend Distribution Co, Seattle, WA
- City of Olympia Arts Commission Poster for Artwalk
- Washington State Ferry System, the "Yakima", WA
- Inter-Fluve Inc., Hood River, OR
- Dermatology and Allergy Specialists of Olympia, WA
- 2013 100 Northwest Artists, E. Ashley Rooney, Schiffer Publishing
- 2012 Journeys to Abstraction, Sue St. John, Northlight Books
- Ongoing (since 1995) Who's Who in American Art, Marquis Who's Who, New Providence, NJ
- 2010 Simply the Best, publisher Art Exchange, Hot Springs, AR
- 2006 Bull, Carol. “New Artwork at ORSCC” Redmond Recreation Guide, Winter p 8.
- 2005 Martin, David F. An Enduring Legacy, Women Painters of Washington 1930-2005. Whatcom Museum of Art and History, May, 2005 p112.
Randall, Janice. “Florals bloom Friday in Blue Heron Gallery” The Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber, June 1, p 9.
Gilmore-Baldwin, Molly. “Take a tour through the creative process” Weekend, The Olympian, Mar 17, p 20.
Woo, Cathy. “Think Like an Artist”, The Artist’s Magazine, July, pp 43-48.
- 2002 Thomson, Linda. "Featured artist draws on childhood for inspiration." The News Tribune, April 16, SL7.
Fitzgerald, Betty Jo. “Road Tableaux”, Catalog, Washington Center for Performing Arts, Olympia, April , 2002
- 2001 Cromwell, Pamela. "Artists Gather to Celebrate Sisterhood." Bob, June, vol. 1, issue 6, p 10
- 2000 Carlile, Jim. "Artists portray Olympia" The Olympian, June 11, p. D-1
- 1997 Brown, Joan. "Open Season on the Artists." The News Tribune, September 14, p B-4.
- 1996 Painting published in Watercolor series Abstracts. Rockport Publishing, Mass.
- 1991 Koenninger, Robin. "Artsplash! It all starts tonight." The Olympian, March 22.
- 1990 Price, Teresa. "Painting honors educator." Pittsburgh News Record.
- 1986 Helbert, Glenda. "Joy washes artist's watercolors." The Olympian, November 3.
"Best of Show title is given to Fitzgerald from Olympia." The Daily Chronicle, April 5.
Betty Jo Fitzgerald
Exit is Exist minus s
Field Tulips 1
All artwork copyrighted
property of the artist
See more at